Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:18:07 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> As I agree with Christian that the most important factor is our ability
> to attract contributors, I've tried to gather data about the number of
> people that decide to join Debian per year. The easiest data to found
> was those about DDs and DMs; they are not a full picture of our
> contributors community (no translators, no project members on Alioth,
> etc.), but they're probably correlated significantly with it.

Another way to look at it is the number of maintainers, as recorded in
the Packages and Sources files. I've done a bit of scripting and came
with these numbers:

Version    Date	        Maint   Delta   Delta   Change /
                                Years   Maint   year
0.93R6	09/10/1995	41
1.1	17/06/1996	108	0.69	67	97
1.2	12/12/1996	147	0.49	39	80
1.3.1	05/06/1997	180	0.48	33	69
2	24/07/1998	253	1.13	73	64
2.1	09/03/1999	357	0.62	104	166
2.2	15/08/2000	526	1.44	169	117
3	19/07/2002	994	1.93	468	243
3.1	06/06/2005	1552	2.88	558	193
4	08/04/2007	1859	1.84	307	167
5	14/02/2009	2231	1.86	372	200
6.0.6	06/02/2011	2678	1.98	447	226
7~	21/10/2012	2958	1.71	280	164

Unfortunately, this method doesn't account for MIA maintainers whose
packages have not been orphaned, so it may overstate actual activity.

It looks like some steam has been lost this release cycle, but that it is
not the trend of other recent cycles.

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler