Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57:55PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:38:46PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > bzr is the fourth most popular version control system in Debian according to
> > <http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/vcs-usage/>.  If you're going to demote
> > bzr-builddeb (which doesn't bother me), I think you should also be demoting
> > svn-buildpackage, because svn is horrible and should die.

> Well, you should also mention the numbers from this site. svn and git
> are used about 20 and 40 times respectively more often than bzr for
> packaging. Saying that bzr is popular is would be misleading
> considering these numbers.

I didn't say it was popular, I said it was the fourth most popular.

Being agnostic to the VCS being used fails in the stated purpose of making
this package useful to new packagers.  New packagers should be strongly
steered away from using subversion.  I don't care if bzr-builddeb gets
demoted; I care that new packagers are not encouraged to use subversion over
bzr solely because subversion is more popular.  The popularity of subversion
for packaging is a measure of inertia and/or ignorance, not of the
appropriateness of the tool.

bzr (especially with bzr-builddeb) is the best tool for the job, but I know
not everyone shares that opinion.  git is a tolerable second.  svn should be
taken out and shot.

> Recommending dh_make is actually very sensible as it's always a
> good start when packaging from scratch. I use it for all my packages
> and gives a rough guideline for the packaging work.

I find the .ex files that it generates in debian/ to be a major distraction
nowadays, and greatly prefer to build the package up by hand.