Re: Debian should move away from MD5 (and at best also from SHA1) (in secure APT and friends)

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:42:57AM +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 08:18:55PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > There are also the md5sums files that are stored in the .deb file.
> > I'm not really sure what the real use case for them is and
> > wouldn't have a problem with them going away.
> debsums(1) aka "what packages on my system are corrupt by a recent FS
> failure"

I know about debsums, I just don't find it useful.

For the case of corruption I would either use backups or
reinstall the whole thing.  If there is corruption it
ussually screws up more than the files covered by the md5sums.

Kurt