Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:38:46PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> bzr is the fourth most popular version control system in Debian according to
> <http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/vcs-usage/>.  If you're going to demote
> bzr-builddeb (which doesn't bother me), I think you should also be demoting
> svn-buildpackage, because svn is horrible and should die.

Well, you should also mention the numbers from this site. svn and git
are used about 20 and 40 times respectively more often than bzr for
packaging. Saying that bzr is popular is would be misleading
considering these numbers.

I actually heard of bzr-builddeb for the first time and my impression
always was that most packages using bzr are maintained by Ubuntu
developers.

In any case, the Recommends should be agnostic to the VCS being
used. Recommending dh_make is actually very sensible as it's always a
good start when packaging from scratch. I use it for all my packages
and gives a rough guideline for the packaging work.

Cheers,

Adrian