Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

Hi Benjamin,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:38:08PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> How popular are bzr-builddeb and dh-make in Debian? The current
> situation is that packaging-dev recommends bzr-builddeb and suggests
> dh-make. It was requested to drop bzr-builddeb from Recommends and add
> dh-make [1]. The recommended packages of packaging-dev should be
> recommended by most of the Debian developer and not just by the
> maintainer of packaging-dev or one single bug reporter.

I think this is a failing proposition.  There are as many different
preferences about packaging, to the nearest order of magnitude, as there are
Debian developers.  I'm fine with this package being one maintainer's
recommendations for some packages; I'm not at all ok with it being recast as
a blessed recommendation of the project, as I object to about a third of the
stuff in there.

> Therefore I am asking you: How popular are bzr-builddeb and dh-make?
> Should they be recommended or just suggested by packaging-dev?

dh-make isn't so relevant now that debhelper 7 exists.  cp
/usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.tiny debian/rules && dch
--create, manually create debian/control and debian/copyright, and that's
about it.

bzr is the fourth most popular version control system in Debian according to
<http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/vcs-usage/>.  If you're going to demote
bzr-builddeb (which doesn't bother me), I think you should also be demoting
svn-buildpackage, because svn is horrible and should die.

Cheers,