Re: Changes to Debian Maintainer upload permissions

On 12978 March 1977, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Would it be possible to extend the syntax to specify lists of packages
> not by name, but by Maintainer, e.g. pkg-haskell-maintainers@l.a.d.o?

Not with the current setup. We have a m:n relation between DMs and
source packages. It's an interesting idea though, but then also not
really what DM is about.

The DM flag (and in future ACL) shows that one trusts that one DM to do
a good job on that one package. Extending it like "this DM may upload
all packages of [whateverbiglist]" is just wrong.

> (Of course this is just convenience and can already be achieved by a
> small script that generates the list of packages.)

Yeah, but please don't. Sillyness like "all of our team packages are
always for all DMs of us" is really working against the system, IMO.
If you want people to have upload rights for such large sets, make them
DD. DM is for people interested in small(er) style maintenance.

--
bye, Joerg
<_DeadBull_> ohne speicher, tastatur, mouse, pladde, monitor, also nur die