Re: EFI in Debian

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:42:13PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> As you might have seen from recent discussions about the Fedora and
> Ubuntu strategies for how to deal with EFI and Secure Boot, there are
> potentially major issues in the area. In Debian we don't (yet) have a
> plan, so it's high time that we had some discussion. I've set up a BoF
> at DebConf for this:
>
> https://penta.debconf.org/penta/schedule/dc12/event/925.en.html
>
> That's Monday 9th July, 15:00 local time (21:00 UTC).

Hi Steve, thanks for taking care of that. We're indeed a bit late in our
reflections on this matter and we should come up with a plan for both
Wheezy (if still feasible?) and the future. I unfortunately won't be
able to make it for the BoF, as I've to leave shortly after DebCamp. But
I encourage everyone to participate in the BoF and please work on a
report or minutes so that we can have a discussion on list (either here
or on -boot) afterwards.

For those who are not familiar with the crux of secure boot, here are a
few recent references on the matter:

- Fedora's plans http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
- Ubuntu's plans
  http://blog.canonical.com/2012/06/22/an-update-on-ubuntu-and-secure-boot/
  (with a more technical discussion of it at
   https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-June/035445.html )
- FSF's paper
  http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/whitepaper-web

Cheers.