Re: Summary: Moving /tmp to tmpfs makes it useless

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:35:47PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
* Less wear of SSD drives.
 • Contrary to Serge's claims, SSDs are not an oddity, and it's not
   unlikely these will be a majority before wheezy becomes oldstable.

He didn’t say they were oddities. He said you should more worry about firmware bugs than worry about write cycles. And I think he is quite right. Will Wheezy support SSDs out of the box with all trimming functions, even if your SSD partition is using LUKS and LVM? If not, you think that getting /tmp away from disk will help much? Even if you consider rsyslog and logfiles, browser caches and so on?

You have some interesting ideas, but I think they are only valuable for the common case if we can buy computers with better RAM to disk ratio. I checked some offers for new PCs (here in Germany). If you don’t buy an expensive gaming PC (with 16 or 12 GB RAM), you will get 4 GB (sometimes 6 or 8 GB). It’s even worse with notebooks. And let me guess: if you ask people if they want to buy a PC with 4 GB RAM and 2 TB disk or a PC with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB disk, they will choose the first one, because they know more about disk space than RAM.

This basically boils down to:
efficiency vs failures for a newbie user.

Replace newbie user with default installation. Even experienced users may wish to choose default installation for common desktop systems.

We have popularity-contest to get statistics about packages. Can this script be extended to get hardware information (e.g. RAM, disk space and partition layout)? So we would see what computer are used by our users and how it is configured. If most people only have 4 GB RAM, it is quite useless to waste it with a RAM disk. If most people already have separate tmp partitions, we don’t need it either.

Current size defaults for /tmp are naive to the point of brokenness: with modern systems not being expected to ever use swap, we'd want to

Well, if I start Virtual Box on my notebook (4 GB RAM), the system uses the swap partition. So it is not modern enough?

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |