Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Le Sat, May 12, 2012 at 07:33:49PM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :

> There is an easy solution: switch binary packages to xz compression.
>
> amd64's CD 1 is reduced to 2/3 of its current size (data from June(?) 2010).
>
> If you remember, I also did some research for the whole archive:

> Raw data: http://angband.pl/deb/xz/debs.txt
>
> There is a misconception that only big packages are worth compressing.  Ten
> small packages give almost as good savings as one big.  xz is indeed worse
> than gzip for smallest packages (~1-2KB) but the total savings that could be
> gained by a smart selection of the compression method are so small that
> they're not worth any extra complexity.

In my experience, xz gives the biggest gains, like halving the size of a
package, when its contents are rich in binary files.  So if heuristics are
needed, perhaps that could be a direction...

Another gain from xz compression is mirror space.  Consider the gain doubled
when the same provider also has a Ubuntu mirror !  Disk space may be cheap, but
they require energy to operate, and that is becoming something more and more
precious in our world.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy