Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 09, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:
> > This is something I'm pondering if we should handle in either a systemd
> > trigger or a tool that packages shipping systemd files can call to tell
> > the user about any changes.  (Basically a wrapper around ucf, probably.)
>
> The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the correct solution
> would be to just symlink /lib/udev/rules.d/ to /etc/udev/rules.d/ and so
> on.

Please don't.  As a user, I find it highly preferable for packages to
install their default configuration in /lib and just have overrides in
/etc, and I'd love to see that trend continue.  That setup lets me
trivially construct personal configuration packages that ship the
overriding files in /etc, without having to play ugly games with
dpkg-divert of conffiles.  It also means that I don't get a pile of
noise in etckeeper from all the upgrades of default configurations, so
that my commits to etckeeper primarily consist of my own local changes.

Given appropriately standardized paths (such as those used in udev and
systemd), it seems rather straightforward to have a dpkg hook that
checks for updates to a /lib file for which a corresponding /etc
override exists, if people want that.  Personally, I'd rather just rely
on NEWS.Debian files to tell me about any incompatible changes, and use
include directives or similar mechanisms to handle compatible changes.

- Josh Triplett