Re: On init in Debian

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:
> > It is apparently trying to be a *Linux* standard, being adopted by all
> > distributions.
>
> That's not at all clear to me.  It seems more to be trying to be a good
> init system used by Fedora, and beyond that it's left to people to make up
> their own minds, although of course the author thinks it's good and more
> people should use it.  Most people like the things they've written.  :)

I think systemd does clearly aim to be a Linux standard. A number of
features exist specifically for the sake of allowing better cross-distro
compatibility. Some previous distribution-specific interfaces on Fedora
have been deprecated. Upstream has explicitly talked about a goal
standardizing interfaces between distributions and about specific
integration issues with other distributions that affect systemd design
(for example in http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html).
Some GNOME features have started using systemd interfaces and deprecated
the previous implementation (at least ConsoleKit).

The goal seems to be to eventually have systemd in a position similar to
udev, which is now quite "standard" and is not usually considered as
"distro-specific" software.