[OT] NM vs. wicd (was: Re: On init in Debian)

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 04:09:57, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-03-29 02:43:33 +0200, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> > $ sudo apt-get remove network-manager*
> > $ sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-curses wicd-gtk
> >
> >                                         ^ wicd-kde ?
> >
> > $ wicd-curses
> >
> > And enjoy your network without the NM mess :)
>
> Well, wicd has its own bugs, such as preventing a laptop from
> suspending.

Hmm.  That sucks.  I'd like to debug why you're running into this.  However
I've been using wicd for over two years and never had this problem, but I'm
also running a custom-built kernel (and have been for a long time).

Any idea why wicd would prevent your laptop from suspending?  The best first
guess I have is perhaps a bug with the wireless card driver or firmware such
that it won't enter the suspend state.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle