Re: Time to remove 32/64-bit variants of GMP?

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 09:51:35PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Similar to a recent question from J. Berkenbilt [1], I'd like to
> understand whether there is still value in producing 32- and 64-bit
> variants of the GMP packages.

> GMP is already Multi-Arch enabled, but it still produces a 32-bit
> library for certain 64-bit architectures and, similarly, a 64-bit
> library for certain 32-bit architectures.  Can a package from 32-bit
> i386 be used on amd64 instead of lib32gmp?  And similarly for other
> architectures?

The gmp 32-bit and 64-bit "biarch" library packages seem to only be used by
mpfr4 on amd64 and kfreebsd-amd64.  So I would say these can be removed once
lib32mpfr4 itself goes away in favor of multiarch.

> Recently, I've been given a patch set to build lib64gmp10 on sparc.
> I'd rather rely on multiarch for this, if possible.

In the short term this isn't possible, because there's no sparc64
architecture specified or supported in the archive.  So I'd say it's
entirely up to you as the maintainer whether to support lib64gmp10, or if
you'd rather nudge folks in the direction of implementing a sparc64 partial
arch.