Re: usefulness of ITPs (Re: mosh ITP not done, just package name taken over)

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf@debian.org> writes:

> [ sorry for duplicate, Neil, pressed the wrong button ]
>
> On 2012-03-26 09:17, Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:55:35 +0300
>> "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf@debian.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > No, it's not nothing, and it's not a pointless bureaucracy. Filing an
>> > ITP shows your intent to a hundreds of developers, which is:
>> >
>> > a) useful for the ITP owner since it advertises the package for
>> >    the prospective users;
>>
>> That's true mostly after the ITP is closed but it's also true if the
>> package, once uploaded, has a sensible package description. Both get
>> indexed by every search engine worth using. The ITP itself has no real
>> impact on this. [...]
>
> No, it has. At least for me. I certainly know about or even installed
> some software solely because I saw an ITP for them, for example,
> 'lightspark'. I doubt that many people use a search engine once a while
> to see if there is new flash player available.

I do read the Debian News which usualy has a section on new and
noteworthy packages. I would find it much better if maintainers would
write a small blurb for the News when the package is uploaded instead of
an ITP.

MfG
        Goswin