Re: On init in Debian

OoO  Lors de  la soirée  naissante du  lundi 19  mars 2012,  vers 18:48,
Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> disait :

>>> I just had a look, and no, that's not what metainit does.

>>> What it does is *generating* an init.d script, using the
>>> metainit syntax as input. IMO, just a normal shell script
>>> tiny library to simplify our init.d scripts would be enough.
>>>
>> So it does more than enough - sounds to me like it meets your
>> requirements (in fact exceeds them) and has the added advantage
>> that it *already exists* whereas the hypothetical shell script
>> library does not.
>>

> Not really. It invents a new syntax which I don't want to use.
> I want things to be more simple, not more complicated.

Writing configuration files  with the shell is not  going to be anywhere
simple. In  two years, it will be  the same mess as  now: everybody will
have extended  the "configuration" with  its own functions  and somebody
will come up and say those functions should be put into some library. We
already have  /lib/lsb/init-functions and start-stop-daemon.   Almost no
daemon stick to /etc/init.d/skeleton.
--
Vincent Bernat ☯ http://vincent.bernat.im

Write clearly - don't be too clever.