Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 03/19/2012 07:02 PM, Arto Jantunen wrote:
>> I'm not sure if it would help if all of the media players Debian
>> distributes were crippled so that they could be used to play dvd's via
>> libdvdcss but not copy them (or which is the tool to circumvent, the
>> decrypter or the copier).
>>
> If a DVD isn't encrypted, you can copy it using cat. I don't think that
> cat can be considered a tool that is going around protections... :)
>
> So, IANAL, but IMO the decrypter is the tool to circumvent the
> protection.

The DMCA doesn't apply for DVDs that aren't encrypted (no technical
measures to circumvent). This of course doesn't mean that copying
non-copy-proctected DVDs is ok, the normal copyright laws still apply.

I meant the last part of my previous mail mainly as a theoretical
question about where the limits actually are, but as such it can only be
answered by a court and debating it on this list is fairly
pointless. Considerding that it's getting replies I obviously should
have left it out of the mail.

--
Arto Jantunen