Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 00:56 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Because it's not illegal in just Kbanga.
>  The content providers are doing
> their best to make it illegal everywhere, and would potentially harass
> Debian as an organization in rather more than just one country if we
> distribute decss.

In principle you're right,.. but we start to enter a path of doom if we
censor ourself like this...
You'll probably be able to find thousands of places in any distro, where
some patent troll or content mafia organisations pretend to have
"rights" on.
This starts with Redmonds FAT in the Linux kernel over probably
gazillions of Patents of VoIP or other multimedia techniques.

Unfortunately courts in many countries largely follow those evil
organisations.

Cheers,
Chris.