Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On 03/17/2012 03:16 AM, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Friday, March 16, 2012 13:13:30, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
>
>> Resampling could be termed a derivative work, not a backup copy since you
>> are throwing away information contained in the original.
>>
> That may be, but some source media is > 8 GB such that a direct copy cannot be
> made onto even a dual-layer DVD, so resampling is the only option if a
> "backup" (as far as the layman is concerned) is to be made.  That this
> procedure becomes a derivative work simply illustrates one of the areas where
> d.o and d-m.o philosophically diverge even though both share common ground in
> trying to support a universal operating system.

I thought that there was some writable DVD 9 available
on the market. Did I dream?

Also, why not writing the DVD image on your HDD?

Thomas

P.S: You can buy DVDs on the street for 0.5 EUR here, which is
a major contribution to the film industry... :)
I'd be a useless loss of time to do backups of these.