Re: On init in Debian

On 16.03.2012 19:45, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
>
>> I don't know what should happen next, except someone should take
>> leadership on this issue and find a rough consensus on what we as a
>> project want to do.  The usual way of that to happen is for someone to
>> grab a keyboard and start writing actual code, as opposed to
>> e-mails. Do-ocracy ftw.
>
> I believe we should finalize the Policy update to allow packages to start
> including optional upstart scripts (#591791, which needs more seconds),
> write a similar Policy update for systemd, and then get some practical
> experience.
>
> That doesn't resolve the whole problem, but it does let people start doing
> things instead of just talking about it and may uncover interesting data.

Just for the record: We already have 30+ packages in Debian shipping
native systemd unit files.
For a standard Debian (desktop) installation there are not that many
sysv init scripts left, that need to be run.
And the number of native systemd services is continually growing, thanks
to systemd upstream pushing the mantra of including those files directly
upstream.

I'm mainly interested in systemd (as Tollef) and we are already working
hard to make the integration and transition as smooth as possible.

The lack of participation on all these threads doesn't mean there isn't
anything happening on the systemd side, on the contrary.
Personally, I sadly noticed that all these previous discussions lead to
nothing, so I just tried to keep out of it.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?