Re: On init in Debian

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

> I don't know what should happen next, except someone should take
> leadership on this issue and find a rough consensus on what we as a
> project want to do.  The usual way of that to happen is for someone to
> grab a keyboard and start writing actual code, as opposed to
> e-mails. Do-ocracy ftw.

I believe we should finalize the Policy update to allow packages to start
including optional upstart scripts (#591791, which needs more seconds),
write a similar Policy update for systemd, and then get some practical
experience.

That doesn't resolve the whole problem, but it does let people start doing
things instead of just talking about it and may uncover interesting data.
And allowing packages to include parallel upstart configuration with init
scripts that defer to upstart when it's available has the separate
advantage of immediately making life easier for packagers who want to
maintain the same package on both Debian and Ubuntu.