Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Mar 06, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> > Should Debian reject using <any widely deployed and important system
> > component> just to support toy ports which are used by a dozen of people?
> Except that kFreeBSD is not a toy port.
>
> FreeBSD is a serious operating system that is used by many people in
> system-critical applications, which runs on modern hardware and
> outperforms the hell of Linux in some regards.
Let's accept that this is true for the sake of the argument.
Still, the kFreeBSD ports are not FreeBSD. They have 106 systems
reporting to popcon, compared to 120000 Linux systems just for amd64 and
i386.
With such a users base you do not dictate developement of an OS which has
1000 times more users: you do your best to not stand in the way if you
want a future.

I object to this political correctness bullshit: while operating systems
may be born equal, their real world usage matters and Linux is more
important than kFreeBSD.

> The kFreeBSD port has some features over Linux that makes it an
> interesting option for some use cases, such as ZFS, jails, and more.
Which, which very good approximation, nobody uses.
And let's not forget that there has been no real stable release yet.

> So far, I haven't seen any features in systemd that outweigh those. And
This speaks more about you than systemd.

--
ciao,
Marco