Re: mass bug filing of 'ucf: command not found' errors detected by piuparts

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 08:10:11PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > Interesting timing. initscripts started depending on ucf just a few
> > days ago, which makes ucf quasi-essential.

> Unless you are going to argue to add it to the essential set, I can't
> see why that matters. It's still wrong to use non-essential packages
> in postrm unconditionally. One could even argue that an essential
> package should not use ucf unconditionally and have a sane fall back
> when it's not available.

Well, I would argue that packages in the essential set shouldn't be adding
new dependencies without some discussion and review on debian-devel first.
That's not technically required by policy, but pulling new packages into the
transitively-essential package set has the same sort of potentially
disruptive effect on upgrades that adding pre-depends does.

But the only reason I see for a transitively-essential package to avoid
using ucf unconditionally is if it *doesn't* have a dependency on it.