Re: -fPIE and stuff

RA> That's the main reason why I'm not sure prelinking is worth it; I'll
RA> take the speed hit from using non-prelinked binaries in exchange for
RA> verifiable checksums.

The last time prelinking came up on the Gentoo lists, those who had done
some benchmarking reported that it gave no significant benefit on amd64.

I presume that also would be the case for binary dists.

RA> (Of course, it would be great to have both.)

To do that the prelinking has to be done when the binaries are installed,
before the checksums are calculated.  Ie, the package manager has to do it.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6