Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Toni Mueller wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 11:55 AM, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Nowadays 100G disks are small by laptop standards and for desktops 1TB is
> > about the smallest that anyone would buy.
>
> Focussing on the desktop is the core of this - imho - misguided idea.
> I'd still like to be able have a small, self-contained, Debian that I
> can run on about anything. /usr is where all the real bloat (Gnome etc.)
> lies, which may or may not be available, and if you eg. consider your
> favourite phone storage, that's 512MB internally, or similar, with /home
> presumably on an external storage (SD card).

If you want to run Debian on a phone with incredibly small internal
storage, then either put / on external storage, or don't install large
packages like GNOME if you only have 512MB available.  And in any case,
nothing discussed in this thread would stop you from splitting out /usr
if you want to, as long as the initramfs mounts it.

(Also, my favorite phone has 32GB of storage. :) )

- Josh Triplett