Re: many packages fail to build twice in a row again

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 20.12.2011, 21:36 +0100 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> On 20/12/11 at 22:01 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > With recent dpkg(-source) changes, many packages are again failing to
> > build twice in a row, because of uncommitted upstream changes.  Fixing
> > this was a lenny release goal, maybe it should be one again?!?  Most
> > importantly, maybe someone who has access to one of those build grids
> > can run the old tests again, because I feel by accidentally stumbling
> > upon these problems we will not be able to find and fix many of them any
> > time soon.
>
> Is it really worth it? There are many ways to work-around this, such as
> using a temporary git repo to be able to 'git clean' and return to a
> clean state before each build.

I also find this a worthy goal. It is not always forseeable that a
package will be affected, so if you forget to prepare (e.g. by creating
a git repo), you can easily get into a situation where your changes are
entangled with a bunch of non-intentional changes that are hard to fix
manually and I’ve had to restart from scratch and manually picking my
changes from the large diff a few times.

I, for one, welcome new FTBTIAR bugs :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner