Re: many packages fail to build twice in a row again

Le Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:01:44PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut a écrit :
> With recent dpkg(-source) changes, many packages are again failing to
> build twice in a row, because of uncommitted upstream changes.  Fixing
> this was a lenny release goal, maybe it should be one again?!?  Most
> importantly, maybe someone who has access to one of those build grids
> can run the old tests again, because I feel by accidentally stumbling
> upon these problems we will not be able to find and fix many of them any
> time soon.

Personally I have given up making packages buildable twice in a row using
“debian clean” for the packages I maintain with git, as it is really easy to
reset the repository with “git clean” and “git checkout”.

Half of the source packages that declare a VCS are managed with Git.  I think
that instead of making complex workarounds, we would benefit of allowing the
3.0 (git) source format, where “git clean” and “git checkout” could be ran from
the clean target of debian/rules, if there is agreement that it does not
violate the principle of least surprise, as it also wipes out changes made in
the debian directory.

About acceptability of that format for our archive, I have not seen direct
evidence that it is unsuitable, see http://bugs.debian.org/642801.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy