Re: d-i doesn't even gives a clue on what WM is going to be installed (was: Guided partitioning should not offer separate /usr, /var, and /tmp partitions; leave that to manual partitioning)

On 12/18/2011 04:43 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> This
> is mostly as if I starting to try to convince to use Awesome WM as
> default desktop install because I think it is more user-friendly (and it
> is, for my type of use, but not for general use).

Good example indeed. If the user has enough explanations as to why it's
more user-friendly, and there's a choice that can be made, then I'd be
for prompting the user the choice of the WM. Also, this doesn't have to
be in the default mode, it's ok if the choice is only available in
expert install.

I have always felt uncomfortable with d-i just launching tasksel, which
only has a checkbox for "Graphical desktop environment".

- Why isn't tasksel asking which window manager?
- Why "graphical interface" means in fact gnome, and why it's not
written in clear text?
- Why is it that we are one of biggest distributions with over 3k
packages, so many GDE and WM, and so few choice of what to install in
d-i? Especially, there's many better alternatives to tasksel.

On 12/18/2011 04:43 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> I do think you ought to stop to try to push your personal opinion too
> hard... it is clear on this thread that most people do not agree with
> you so lets go ahead and move topic.

I don't think Debian's path ought to be doing *less* and removing nice
functionality, just because it may confuse some of our less
knowledgeable users. I'm sorry if you think I'm voicing this opinion too
much, but I strongly believe Debian should be more than a toy OS for
newbies (there's Ubuntu and Mint aiming at them anyway).

Thomas

P.S: I removed the BTS from Cc, this has nothing to do with #652275.