Re: Appreciation

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Hall <mhall119@ubuntu.com> [2011.11.21.0100 +0100]:
> > The Ubuntu community is holding a community appreciation day[1]
> > today, and I wanted to extend that to the entire Debian community
> > as well.
>
> Thanks. It's good to see that there are still people in the Ubuntu
> community who have a grasp of the big picture. The community
> managers in Ubuntu don't seem to care to inform new members (and
> make sure existing members know) where Ubuntu is coming from.

Then you'll be glad to learn that Michael is going to be one of the Ubuntu
community managers. :-)

http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/11/17/welcoming-our-new-horseman-michael-hall/

Apparently he will take special care of Ubuntu's upstreams, and Debian
certainly is one of Ubuntu's upstream.

That said I don't share your point of view, most of the new Ubuntu
contributors (at least those involved in packaging) are very much aware of
the relationship with Debian and it's not uncommon that they are asked to
forward patches to Debian, or to consider submitting new packages to
Debian directly.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer