Re: Move all to /usr

Le Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 04:12:07PM +0100, Steve McIntyre a écrit :
> Marco wrote:
> >On Oct 13, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:
> >> Some systems have quite a small /boot partition, I've had some problems with a
> >/boot partitions nowadays are mostly useless, unless e.g. you are doing
> >something stupid like a RAID 5 root.
>
> Or on devices where the firmware / boot loader doesn't support large
> disks, or only limited filesystems etc. Please don't ignore other
> people's use cases.

Since that part of the thread is about the impact of having to store larger
initrds, systems with large disks are not an issue and can go ahead with /boot
partitions.  This leaves the problem of using a /boot partition on small disks
where the root partition is using a filesystem that can not be booted directly.

If the merge in /usr is implemented in the base-files package, it means that
existing systems will not be automatically converted.  So to support the
systems combining where the root filesystem is not supported by bootloaders and
where the disk is small, it would only need to make the merge in /usr optional
at installation time.

So, how would the merge in /usr would be implemented in practice ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan