Re: Move all to /usr

On Oct 11, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> We already discussed the idea of dropping support for a separate /usr,
> >> and the outcome was a broad consensus for keeping things this way.
> > No, we discussed the idea of merging /usr in / (to which I was opposed
> > myself as well).
> > This is a different concept.
> I think Joss is referring to the thread you started at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/05/msg00075.html and the
> conclusion you came to in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/05/msg00935.html.
I am aware of what he is referring to, and it is still a different
thing.

So let's look at the reasons against merging /usr in / listed in my
final summary. All of them do not apply to merging / in /usr, and
actually become arguments in favour of doing it:
- NFS: sharing a read only system over NFS becomes much easier (I would
  say that it actually becomes possible...)
- junk hardware: while moving /usr to / may not be possible due to the
  small size of the root partition, moving / to /usr will be easy
- read only system: more parts would be read only
- dmcrypt: more parts would not need to be crypted, if desired

And then there is the big argument in favour of it: booting without /usr
is becoming more and more difficult. The two current solutions for this
adopted by udev and the related tools are both suboptimal: waiting in a
loop for /usr to appear can fail due to the timeout (and I wonder when
we will hit the first deadlock), and moving even more stuff from /usr to
/ can work only up to a point.

--
ciao,
Marco