Re: RFC: Adding "Pre-Depends: libtinfo5" to libncurses5

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 07:17:05PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> as requested in bug #631592[1], we (ncurses maintainers) are going to
> split out a new library package named libtinfo5 from the ncurses source
> package and link both libncurses5 and libncursesw5 against that library.
> This raises a small problem for upgrades from previous libncurses5
> versions:

> If the new libncurses5 is unpacked before libtinfo5, there is a time
> window during which programs using symbols that have been moved to
> libtinfo5 will not be able to start.  Since this includes bash, that
> could be rather bad, especially if bash is /bin/sh.

> To rule out this possibility, I would like to add an unversioned
> "Pre-Depends: libtinfo5" to libncurses5.  In my tests, apt did install
> libtinfo5 before unpacking the replacement libncurses5 anyway, so this
> is mostly meant as a safety guard against an unlikely situation.  I do
> not expect any upgrade problems to arise from that Pre-Dependency.

You are correct that nothing here ensures that libtinfo5 will always be
unpacked before the new libncurses5, and the only way to enforce this is to
have libncurses5 Pre-Depend on libtinfo5.  So I think this is the right
course of action.

Cheers,