Re: Dependencies of metapackages

Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> (30/08/2011):
> It is my impression that the problems mentioned in my initial mail can
> be solved by changing metapackages (like those mentioned by Cyril in
> his reply) to use Recommends instead of Depends.
>
> I am, however, not entirely sure if there are any good reasons for not
> doing this and therefore hoped to spur a discussion of this topic.
> What is problematic about this change or a general suggestion that
> metapackages should use Recommends instead of Depends?

If you do that, you lose the distinction between packages that are
absolutely required, and those that are only a recommendation, and can
be skipped by the experienced users.

If you look at xfce4, you can see it pulls by default xorg (which pulls
in turn an X server and drivers), and a few extra items which are not
strictly needed. For example, if you want to run xfce4 with an exported
display, you don't really need an X server. Or desktop-base support. So
if you know what you're doing, you can still use the meta package to
pull the Depends, but skip some if not all Recommends.

Mraw,
KiBi.