Re: RFC: dpatch - past, present and future

Hi!

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 22:33:55 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > As for the future: I still believe dpatch is a temporary solution, and
> > that better tools exist now. Therefore, it is my long-term plan to
> > slowly deprecate dpatch, and eventually make it gracefully leave the
> > archive.
>
> How do you plan to do this?

[...]

> But if your goal is really to get rid of it, you could just as well file
> wishlist bugs on all packages build-depending on it, usertag them and
> increase their severity slowly. Wishlist for now, normal in the next
> release cycle and important/RC in the cycle where you want to drop it?

> FWIW, we managed to get rid of 2/3 of dbs build-dependencies by filing such bugs:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=drop-dbs

Given there's at least around 800 source packages (as Gergely pointed
out, and checking for embedded dpatch in source might reveal some more
maybe). I think filing bug reports for these right now would be too
much, and I'd propose to add a lintian check first, and wait until the
numbers decrease substantially before filing them.

regards,
guillem