Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Are people who are proposing that we change these programs proposing we
> > build a new package with binaries of those same names and use
> > alternatives?  That Debian fork gzip?  Something else?
>
> I propose that we provide a separate package containing zcat, zless,
> etc., remove them from gzip and make gzip depend on the new package.
> As for who maintains the new package, no I am not volunteering.

This has been proposed and discussed upstream:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gzip/2009-11/threads.html

The web mail archive doesn't thread across months.  Here are
continuing months of discussion:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gzip/2010-12/threads.html

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gzip/2011-01/threads.html

Bob