Re: Publishing mboxes of mailing list archives (Was: Debian mailing lists archives as mbox)

Andreas Tille schrieb am Friday, den 05. August 2011:

> [sorry for pressing wrong key and sending unfinished mail]
>
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:20:03PM +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > And you are of course sure that everybody using reportbug knows there address
> > will be published? We have several complaints a month about the problem.
>
> Please stick to the topic.  In this thread it is about mailing lists.
> However, I'm not against discussing the debbugs issue in another thread
> because it is for sure relevant.
>
> > > (Doing some collection and giving stats by sender or stuff like that
> > > might be processing of that information needing some permission, but
> > > those data is not processed if it is simply part of the published mail).
> > We were talking about data mining on the mails which is imho questionable if
> > the stats will be published full name and address.
>
> While I admit that my primary goal was actually doing such statistics
> and it might also an interesting topic what result we finally can
> publish this is also a different topic.  So I tried to clarify the
> topic in the subject a bit.
>
> The thread is about publishing mboxes of the mailing lists at
> lists.debian.org which are containing the information which is also
> available via the HTML archive.  It was also about the listmaster
> attempt to strip some information from the archive.  Some reasoning
> about stripping names was given by you, but I'm in the line with
> Bernhard that your reasons do not apply here.  Debian is not
> *collecting* data (like in a web form were you fill in data to do some
> research) but we are rather logging information people are providing.
> That's a different issue and striping name information would reduce also
> the content of the archive:  It sometimes is important who says
> something.
>
> The work to convert the original mboxes to those that can be published
> and which are cleaned up from SPAM is in progress.  I hope we could
> reach some consensus that those mboxes could be made available for the
> public.
We will see. I am currently not sure about it. And I repeat those conversion
was only meaned for the gsoc project - not for publishing mboxes. Current
status is that listmasters do not plan to publish any mboxes.

Alex