Re: ifupdown 0.7~alpha4 in experimental

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:11:41 +0200
Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 05:06:09PM +0300, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> >As some may already have noticed, the new ifupdown revision, 0.7~alpha4
> >entered experimental, and is successfully built at least on i386 and
> >amd64.
>
> Thanks for your work.
>
> Does this package support configuring different IPv6 address types (say
> one fixed address, so you know how to reach the system, and one dynamic
> address (privacy extension) for outgoing traffic)?
> If not yet, is this feature planned?

As a workaround you can already add the following to
/etc/network/interfaces to change your "fixed address":

  # Mark this address as still reachable but deprecated as source
  # address for new outgoing connections:
  up  ip addr change 2001:f00::1234/64 dev eth0 preferred_lft 0

(I'm still unsure if preferred_lft is really the right way but the
only other alternative seems "ip addrlabel" and they are very confusing)

bye,

-christian-