Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 07:45:36 +0200
Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Having 30000+ packages within a single "main" repository is
> pretty bulky. Would it be possible to distinguish between
> the "core" Debian and "main" somehow?

The principle division mechanism is Priority: because there are Policy
requirements that Priority: divisions (with the exception of the less
than useful optional|extra division) take account of the dependencies
of the packages included.

Emdebian does use Section: to sub-divide what would otherwise all be
optional|extra but it requires quite a few altered overrides to keep the dependencies in line. That is done to cut down the size of the Packages file in main for embedded systems.

> I don't want to keep anybody out. I just would like to use
> the core packages of Debian release xyz (all the essential
> packages, for example) together with more up-to-date
> packages in testing (kernel & drivers, development tools,
> eye candy, games, etc).

Mixed systems are always awkward because that one system could well be
the only system with that precise mix of versions.

--

Neil Williams