Re: distinguish between "core" and "main"?

Harald Dunkel <harri@afaics.de> writes:

> I don't want to keep anybody out. I just would like to use the core
> packages of Debian release xyz (all the essential packages, for example)
> together with more up-to-date packages in testing (kernel & drivers,
> development tools, eye candy, games, etc).

Well, I'm afraid the short version is "you can't."  All those up-to-date
packages depend on newer versions of the core packages than released with
stable, particularly newer versions of the libraries, other than those
that have been backported.  So by the time you install the up-to-date
packages in testing, you will have upgraded most of your core system
(particularly the bits that are most likely to have problems) to testing
anyway.

In other words, why not just use testing?  You're not gaining anything
from trying to keep only essential packages at stable.