Re: Best practice for cleaning autotools-generated files?

* Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> schrieb:

> Given that aclocal is part of automake that is not very surprising.
> If you want to use it without automake, you could just add a single-line
> Makefile.am with the needed data (without AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE in configure.ac
> autoreconf will not call automake), but best simply use automake.

So, essentially, autoconf-only packages should be converted to
automake packages that way ?

> Promoting everything to add some script (which people will always have
> to look at first because you can never be sure what it does), just
> because some projects prefer to have their own kind of build-system
> really seems kind of far-fetched.

Well, I'm doing such things in the OSS-QM project (where packages
also undergo lots of other tests, massbuilds on various cross
targets, etc), so consumers of OSS-QM can be sure that these
scripts do exactly what I described there.

Of course, we cannot ever enforce that on upstreams, and we dont
need to. That's why I've founded the OSS-QM project: it acts as
an intermediate between upstream and consumers (distros, etc),
and does those things (also including hotfixes, etc) which
upstreams tend not to do.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666