Re: Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in IPv6 in wheezy as default?

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:33:42PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:

Hi,

> i currently wonder if Debian should implement RFC 4941 as default for
> wheezy.

I thought about this a few month ago and my proposal would've been to
add an example in /etc/sysctl.conf. I'm not sure if we can or should
distinguish between desktop and server systems because I don't think
you'll like to have it as a default for a server system.

Beside that the default timeout setting for the dynamic address is something
to be discussed, I believe the default is about a week which is rather
long if you want to have a benefit over static assignment. After all the gain of
anonymity highly depends on the IP assignment rules your ISP will have.
If you always end up with the same /64 you gain nearly nothing and there are
better properties to track you anyway.

Sven
--
I don't know much, but I do know this: