Re: 0-day NMUs for RC bugs without activity for 7 days?

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, 2011-05-07, 09:12:
A patch was proposed (#625449) to implement in dvelopers-reference the "DELAYED/0 for upload fixing only release-critical bugs older than 7 days, without maintainer activity for 7 days" policy.

I don't think that this policy is a good idea. But, since I was one of the drivers of the DEP that resulted in the current NMU policy (http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep1.html), I'm a bit biased, and I thought I would bring this proposed change to the attention of -devel@, so that we can get more feedback.

I wonder how many people made use of that 0-day NMU rule. I have always
interpreted those "rules" as “go ahead with NMUs, if the maintainer is a jerk and complain, we'll be on your side”.

This works both ways. If a NMUer uploaded my package without a delay and without a good reason[0], I want to be able to yell at him „you are
a jerk (according to Developers Reference)!”

Unfortunately, clueless NMUers do exist. :(

[0] No, 7 days without activity in the bug log is not a good enough reason. Let's turn our empathy on and face it: we are not bug-fixing monkeys and 7 days is a very short time frame.

--
Jakub Wilk