Re: A concrete proposal for rolling implementation

Hiya,

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:25:35PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 02:24:12PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >   What to do during freezes
> >   -------------------------
> > If we want to do something different though, there is a simple recipe:
> > allow packages to be picked up from unstable, but also from
> > experimental.
>
> Yes, absolutely. This seems straightforward, elegant, and useful as it
> encourages maintainer to push their changes to the Debian archive and
> make them visible and testable to rolling users, even when unstable is
> de facto closed.

It's an excellent idea.  Some of the initial feedback that I've gotten
about DEP-10 (in particular some brainstorming on IRC with Carsten Hey)
is pointing at ideas along these lines, and I hope to flush them out
in a bit more detail RSN.  But I think it's particularly exciting that
these two ideas (rolling, and dealing with freezes) might not conflict
with each other, and perhaps complement one another.

One issue that would need to be addressed with experimental is that
opening a migration route anywhere out of experimental might come as
an unpleasant surprise to some, since there's a standing expectation
that it's a pseudo-suite where we can put stuff that we don't necessarily
want to try out in unstable.  Not an insurmountable problem (either we
change that or introduce yet another psuedo-suite for this purpose),
but worth note anyway.

	sean