Re: PPAs for Debian

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 01:23:12AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> That depends on what you mean by 'issue'.  I think exactly the issues that
> concern some people in Debian about packages of 'poor quality' being generated
> in an uncontrolled PPA system are happening with regularity in Ubuntu.
> Although it doesn't happen every week or anything, it's happened more often
> than I can recall that someone files a bug in Ubuntu about broken PPA packages
> done by some random non-developer.  I believe Debian is quite correct to be
> concerned about the potential for user confusion and damage to Debian's
> reputation for high quality work.
>
> PPAs as a developer tool are one thing, PPAs as a tool for random uploads, I
> think are quite another.

AOL. I think that for Project needs, PPAs accessible only to DDs + DMs
would be a good compromise to avoid "random uploads". It also seems sane
in order to avoid the risk of DOS-ing buildds. It's not too constraining
either as, after all, we won't (and simply can't) block users out there
to set up their own package repositories by means other than PPA.

Cheers.