Re: Debian rolling: tentative summary

Hi Lucas,

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 02:59:04PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I think that one of the conclusions of the discussion from the last few
> days is that the freeze "blockage" has very good features that many of
> us are not willing to give up, like the ability to focus the DDs on
> working on stable releases.

I do not think there was any such consensus.  There were people who
voiced valid concerns about this, and I believe there were also people
who provided counter arguments.  I do not recall any kind of consensus,
or even "choosing camps" on this issue beyond that, just that the thread
drifted away in another direction.  ISTR even seeing some hard data[1]
floating around about a declining number distinct contributions as the
freeze progressed, which would weigh pretty heavily against any argument
about "focusing DD's"[2].  DEP-10, while being otherwise lacking in
content, does describe this problem pretty well[3] as motivation for
exploring changes to the release process.

And beyond that, how does the exact same argument *not* apply to rolling
regarding DD time/focus?

Anyway, if you want to focus solely on the rolling related stuff, that's
fine.  I don't really have a vested opinion on it one way or another,
I just felt that your summary didn't have a full view of everything
discussed in this massive thread.

	sean

[1] I don't recall if it was in the thread or on IRC, but the data was
    taken from -changes/BTS statistics during the release process.
[2] That is to say, having a restriction that "you can only do foo",
    especially in a volunteer project doesn't necessarily guarantee
    that significantly more people will help with "doing foo" than
    would otherwise.
[3] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep10/