Re: OK, Re: need a server for debdelta repository

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 06:03:42PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> The debdelta repository  'debdeltas.debian.net' has a new home! I thank
> a lot 'md' for hosting it in ftp.linux.it; and also 'ansgar' ,
> 'formorer' for offering a host.
>
> With a new server, the service should also be better: deltas should be
> available no more than 1 hour later than the corresponding deb. (*) So
> you should almost never see the message "delta is not present" (but you
> may see the message "delta is too big" ).

Good!, thanks for the news and for maintaining the service.

Out of curiosity, and given http://debdelta.debian.net has been around
for a long while now and is used (according to my exchanges with you)
regularly, do you have a plan for integration into debian.*org* proper?

In principle, it looks like a very useful service to users than they
should be able to enable triggering a switch into APT. Is there any
document describing that possibility, its drawbacks, showstoppers and,
more generally, the way forward?

Is the ongoing GSOC project [1] the only remaining block or… ?
(Yes, I'm also aware of [2], but it seems independent form actually
making easier for users to find and use the service.)

Cheers.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011#DebDelta_APT_Native_Integration
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/04/msg00060.html