On 03/05/2011 14:54, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> What kind of guarantees are you looking for, exactly? Can you suggest
> ways to acquire them?

- That it won't affect stable in bad ways.
- preventing removals from testing is a no-go.

Quite honestly, I see no reason to continue feeding this thread because
I realized (maybe quite late) that there were good arguments against
"frozen" and not much for it apart of hand-waving. It seems that those
who want to have "rolling" in Debian didn't even try to summarize what
made the success of other rolling distros, and what their users liked
there. We do need this kind of survey before even thinking about how to
do "rolling" in Debian… and we don't have this kind of data yet.

I don't know (yet) what other rolling distros Debian based offer to its
users that we don't. I don't know what made aptosid so popular. I don't
know what made Mint Debian popular? (and there are others). Did you even
try to gather those informations before even mentioning "rolling" for
Debian? How can we discuss about "rolling" in Debian if we don't have
that kind of data? You are always mentioning "potential users", but those
potential users might be today-users of aptosid or Mint Debian. So, we
should start from there, instead of just saying "No, but you'll see,
rolling will be cool", "it will make maintainers care about their
pacakges", "it won't affect stable because bla bla bla"…

So, I'll start document myself on this and I'll be back when I know enough
about this story. Sadly, I don't have much time to do this these days and
it might take some time. I'd be glad if others start to gather such
informations and put them somewhere so that we don't understand why is it
so important, and why users don't just use testing today.

I can't find the answers here and it seems that you're not able to give
them, because otherwise you would have used them already to say why
"rolling" will bring users, or what do "rolling" users like?

(The survey we need should "rolling"-topic specific, not about Debian in
general).

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي