On 03/05/2011 11:41, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> It is clear from the discussion that there would be consequences. Some
> would be negative, some positive. I think that we have now a pretty good
> understanding of the possibilities and their consequences. The remaining
> problem is to count DDs heads in the two camps:
> - "Let's focus on stable releases. A rolling release should not be
>    provided officially by Debian."
> - "Let's see what we can do about rolling, provided we find a way to do it
>    without diminishing the quality of our stable releases."

I hope my message will be clear here. But, I find your message quite
subjective. Without reading your message or knowing your opinion on the
subject, we can very easily guess that you prefer the second option.

I don't think that putting people in "camps" would resolve anything here.
The first option is not about making it not officially provided by Debian,
but there are people that are not convinced yet by the idea and some of
them think that sacrificing stable for the sake of a hype is not a good
idea especially with no evidence that it'll work. There are other
arguments against and your two options really can't summarize all opinions
and looks to me an easy way to diminish what has been said during all this
thread.

And, no, I don't agree when you say "I think that we have now a pretty
good understanding of the possibilities and their consequences". All this
thread is about this issue particularly. We don't know yet the
consequences that rolling would have on our stable releases. But, we can't
simply adopt it without having any guarantee on its success. Because if it
turns out that users still prefer $other, then we gained nothing but some
burden within Debian and some bad consequences for Wheezy.

So, please do not use such simplistic conclusions.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
mehdi@{dogguy.org,debian.org}