Re: PPA

* Jan Hauke Rahm (jhr@debian.org) [110502 19:22]:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 07:16:47PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > I guess I'm misunderstanding you here, so please help me out. If a
> > > package is being worked on in different PPAs regarding different
> > > problems (thinking of serializing transitions for instanced but many
> > > other examples apply), how can they share the same version number
> > > without conflicting?
> >
> > Well, the combination of version number and package name needs to be
> > globally unique. Otherwise, consider what would happen if someone
> > reports a bug against a package/version, and we can't see which one it
> > was.
> >
> > That doesn't mean two packages have the same version number - in
> > contrast, they don't. But as you usually can't coinstall different
> > versions of e.g. the same library, that's all fair.
>
> In other words, you're suggesting some kind of versioning scheme for
> PPAs in order to avoid version conflicts?

No.

We started with "where can we take the package for building", and I
said "there should never be two different packages with same name and
version, so they all can be in one sources list".

There are different possibilities to resolve this - I'm not saying
that I have a perfect solution. But we need to make sure the
combination of package name and version is globally unique. As we do
today.

Andi