On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:00:58PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > First of all I think you should concede that the exercise you're asking
> > us to do cannot be done as easily as you did yours.
> I don't concede that. I've read your mail, and to sum up you say:

(Note that the "concede" was on a side aspect, not on the fact that I
was able---which clearly I was not---to convince you of my arguments.)

> So the next question is "why" your mail doesn't answer that. I still
> think that rolling is a bad idea, until you've proven me that it's the
> sole way to address a real life issue/need/itch.

Yes, you're right and I've no answer for that, because the way I've
interacted with people was in some aggregate form, which didn't permit
me to investigate more than that.  So, sorry, I give up on answering
this. But that doesn't stop me from seeing as perfectly reasonable the
use cases already mentioned several times in this thread
(e.g. <[🔎] 20110501200120.GA18556@gnu.kitenet.net> for a short version).
It's very clear to me that they are not enough to convince you and
others, but they are convincing for me.

We should probably stop here and agree to disagree.  Ultimately, we'll
be able to know who is right only if someone builds the thing and see
how many users actually use it.

Cheers.