On Sun, 01 May 2011, Carsten Hey wrote:
> > Testing, OTOH, is really unique in that respect, with its mixture of
> > fresh software and quarantine period.
>
> A 'frozen' requiring most updates to go through *-proposed-updates would
> make this quarantine period a lot less useful, and it would make
> circumstances like the one described above a lot more probable.
>
> One cause that testing-proposed-updates is not more widely used is that
> there is no good non-altruistic reason for a user to do so.  More
> up-to-date packages are available in unstable and more tested packages
> are available in testing.

There's a good reason to use testing-proposed-updates during freeze, it
fixes security and release critical bugs that are present in testing!
So if we tell users to use this repository, we're going to have
some users (I upgrade my servers to testing during the freeze and I
would enable it if it was generally advised for beta-testers).

But yes there might be some unrelated regressions from time to time.
There's a reason why it's not labeled "stable" yet.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)